Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|West Brom and Wolves soccer game stopped because of crowd trouble. FA launches investigation -Capitatum
Benjamin Ashford|West Brom and Wolves soccer game stopped because of crowd trouble. FA launches investigation
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:37:22
WEST BROMWICH,Benjamin Ashford England (AP) — The FA Cup fourth-round soccer match between local rivals West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton was paused on Sunday after “dangerous and inexcusable” crowd trouble.
The English Football Association quickly launched an investigation following the scenes at the Hawthorns, which led to players fearing for the safety of their families inside the stadium.
West Midlands Police confirmed two arrests were made following the second-half disorder and one person was taken to hospital with head injuries.
“The disorder that occurred at the Black Country derby between West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers is completely unacceptable,” the Football Association said. “Safety and security are of the utmost importance, and the behavior of those involved is dangerous and inexcusable. We will be investigating these serious incidents alongside the clubs and the relevant authorities, and the appropriate action will be taken.”
The game was stopped shortly after Matheus Cunha gave visitors Wolves a 2-0 lead in the 78th minute and both teams were taken off the field by referee Thomas Bramall.
Play was resumed following a lengthy delay and Wolves saw out a 2-0 win.
Police and security rushed to control the disturbances as there appeared to be pushing at one end of the ground.
Some of the West Brom players went into the stand to take their children to safety amid concern for family members.
“Unfortunately this happened, but fortunately no dramatic situations with the families or with any person happened because of course the lives are more important than anything,” West Brom manager Carlos Corberan said. “Everything was controlled by the security people and the situation didn’t have any negative consequence for the families. But of course the players were worried because they knew that the families were there.”
The West Midlands clubs have a longstanding rivalry and this was the first time they had played each other since 2021.
Earlier, flares had been in the away section when Wolves took the lead through Pedro Neto. Objects also appeared to be thrown at Wolves’ Tommy Doyle when he was taking a corner.
West Brom said it “condemns in the strongest terms the unsavory scenes” and any “individual involved in the disorder will be subject to a club ban, in addition to potential criminal investigation.”
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (84493)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Drake expresses support for Tory Lanez after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- 3-year-old fatally shot after man 'aggressively' accused girlfriend of infidelity, officials say
- Da'Vine Joy Randolph on 'The Holdovers' and becoming a matriarch
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 45 Viral TikTok Beauty Products You'll Wish You Bought Sooner
- 'Mean Girls' line criticized by Lindsay Lohan removed from movie's digital version
- Tuition will be free at a New York City medical school thanks to a $1 billion gift
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Is Kathy Hilton the Real Reason for Kyle Richards & Dorit Kemsley's Falling Out? See the Costars Face Off
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- A Small Pennsylvania College Is Breaking New Ground in Pursuit of a Clean Energy Campus
- Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp set to headline Outlaw Music Festival Tour
- Man to plead guilty to helping kill 3,600 eagles, other birds and selling feathers prized by tribes
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Man who fatally shot 2 teens in a California movie theater is sentenced to life without parole
- Federal Data Reveals a Surprising Drop in Renewable Power in 2023, as Slow Winds and Drought Took a Toll
- Eagles' Don Henley says 'poor decision' led to 1980 arrest after overdose of sex worker
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
The solar eclipse may drive away cumulus clouds. Here's why that worries some scientists.
Lawsuit seeks up to $11.5M over allegations that Oregon nurse replaced fentanyl drip with tap water
Mexico upsets USWNT in Concacaf W Gold Cup: Highlights of stunning defeat
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Maryland Senate votes for special elections to fill legislative vacancies
Effort to have guardian appointed for Houston Texans owner dropped after son ends lawsuit
Indiana man gets 195-year sentence for 2021 killing of a woman, her young daughter and fiancé